Friday, March 17, 2006

Sew much better!!!


So I was working on yet another set of 'motherhood' cards for the Spring Supplement Swap. I took my inspiration from Recipe 1 in the original Joy of Card Making. What resulted was the picture on the right. I liked it, but knew it needed something else. So, I decided to try resorting to an old trick I learned when I began to scrapbook... it's called pen-stitching. You use a very thin marker to mimic stitches. It's a heck of a lot easier than lugging out the big ole sewing machine, that's for sure. As you can see by the photo on the left, it really does add the extra 'something' that the card needed. It takes practice, but it's very easy to master. Also, in order to color her dress, I used a technique called paper-piecing. Basically, I stamped the dress on the aqua paper, cut it out (slightly inside the lines) and glued it over the original image. Cool, huh?

The sentiment reads "Push, push... Breathe!" and isn't a stamp... I had to do it on the computer. One of the women from playgroup gave me a card when Joanna was born that said exactly that (with a picture of a stroller) and I thought it would be perfect for this image. (Thanks, Jen!) Incidentally, she came to the Pressed Flowers Workshop and did a great job. It was her first time stamping with non-kid stamps! :-)

No comments: